Thursday 9 September 2010

Okinawa Photographer - Happy Day


Today I hurry off to school,
To work and learn and play
I'm in a brand new grade this year.
What a happy day!!!
-unknown author




The twins started kindergarten Tuesday. At first I thought I was going to feel sad and cry but to my amazement I was excited about their new adventure. I couldn't wait for them to come home and share their day with us. Last year they were in preschool in separate classes but this year they will share the same teacher, friends and experiences. It's going to make life a little bit easier this year for me. I always felt like I was going in 10 different directions. Last year trying to keep up with two different teaching styles, different assignments, and field trips that over lapped on the same day that require a parent there was a bit much for one person. Since their wonderful Papi was deployed that just made it more interesting for me to juggle. This year Papi was able to be there for their first day of school! I know it meant a lot to him to be there as I'm sure he feels he misses out so much in their day to day life when he is gone.

So the reason I am blogging today is to get some ideas on "healthy" snacks. This year each child brings their own snack to avoid the chance of someone with allergies eating a snack that may hurt them. Which is understandable. I would like some help coming up with some fun snack time food that little fingers will want to eat that doesn't require refrigeration.

Here's a snack recipe from the "Parents Magazine" that I'm going to try out.

Trail-Mix Popcorn

1 bag of microwave popcorn, cooked according to package directions
1 cup of raisin
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 dried cranberries and/or cherries 
1/2 cup of honey or agave nectar (Tip: eat a tsp of local honey per day to help out with pollen allergies)
2 TBs of butter
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, walnuts and /or peanuts (if you have a nut allergy add something else to add a little crunch)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Oil hands to keep popcorn from sticking
2. In large bowl combine with dried fruits and set aside
3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, stir honey with butter, nuts, sunflower seeds and cinnamon and mix until well combined
4. Carefully dizzle mixture over popcorn and fruit, stirring constantly, until everything is well coated. Let it set overnight.
Makes approx 4 cups

For me that's two snack days =)

Looking forward to trying out the GREAT healthy snacks that are posted for the twins to enjoy at school!

I'm excited tomorrow is Bucket Day! (friday) Hopefully, this weekend the weather will cooperate here in Okinawa.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rising Sun Memories
CoffeeShop Designs